Monday, December 5, 2011

Meal Plan Monday & Must try Monday. Double Links!



Monday: (Paul’s Bday) Beer Bread, Tomato Basil Soup & Spinach Soup. Paul loves beer, bread to dip in soup, and soup. So this is my ode to Paul. He’s long since told me that he does not want cards or gifts from me for his bday, just a great dinner, drinks and some loving. So there you go.

Tuesday: Broccoli Rice Casserole – simple but one of Paul’s favorites.

Wednesday: Pantry Challenge – this is a challenge to myself. Paul thinks this hilarious, but cute and practical. For this meal I am only allowed to cook using ingredients from the back pantry/deep freeze (only exceptions being milk, Becel, onions, spices, etc from the front). I’ll be doing this next week as well.


Thursday: Chili – This will be my first attempt at Chili. I’ll be using a Trader Joe’s Chili seasoning package Paul’s mom bought me. White Chicken Chili, Wahoo! Paul will be stoked!


Friday: Church Christmas Banquet – it’s a dessert only reception but we’ll be there early setting up so I’ll have Paul pick up some sushi for us. I’ll also be bringing some sort of dessert – I’m thinking Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread.


Saturday: Dinner at the Bartel’s in Chilliwack.


Sunday: Jodi & Stef’s Christmas Party Dinner.


Here are two of the recipes I’ll be making, that I haven’t posted before, and that I did not get from the internet:


Must try Monday:

Photobucket

Creamy Spinach Soup – recipe altered by Tara M.


Ingredients:
• 10oz Fresh Spinach Leaves
• ½ Cup Shredded Carrots
• 4 Cups Vegetable Broth (or 4 Tablespoons stock with 4 cups water)
• ½ Cup Diced Onions
• 8 Teaspoon Garlic
• 1/3 Cup Becel
• 1 Cup Fat Free Milk
• ¼ Cup Flour


Procedure:
In stock pot boil water/broth, add veggie stock/broth, spinach and carrots.
In a sauté pan, melt butter/becel and add onions and garlic. Once onions turn translucent, add flour gradually.
Add mixture into stock pot and simmer for several moments. Puree fully. Place back in pot and slowly add dairy.
Simmer for 2 minutes.
Serve or process.

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread:


Ingredients:
• ½ cup cocoa
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• 2 cups flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• ¾ cups chocolate chips
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup oil
• 2 cups of grated zucchini
• 1 tsp vanilla


Procedure:
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Mix wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix chocolate chips into wet, add wet to dry and you’re done. Put in the oven to bake in muffin tins or in a loaf pan.

1 comment:

LeAnna said...

I like your pantry challenge. Every once in awhile, when I think we're cash poor because of middle-class-angst (like buying expensive concert tickets) I ignore the cookbooks and force myself to work with what I have in the pantry and fridge. It's been the spark of some very delicious meals (you'd be amazed at how many ways there are to roast a chicken).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...