Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Octoberfest - Part 1 - Menu Plan "Monday"

Wow - it has officially been 19 days since I last blogged. 19 days! Tragic. Probably no but me finds this to be tragic, but honestly it has made my heart sad. Especially as the last 19 days have been BURSTING with life - hence the lack of blogging, and hence the giant list of things to blog about! 1 amazeballs project, 2 weddings, 1 great shower/stagette, Thanksgiving rundown and a few other tidbits has made this a very full couple weeks and I can't wait to tell you about it all. But first, some menu planning - because while exciting things come and go, the day to day continues. And we have definitely been eating well this last while. 


Menu Plan Monday with Laura at Org Junkie

Upcoming week: 
Monday: Indian take out
We have out of town guests who stay with us quite regularly and they wanted to thank us by bringing us a tasty meal and drink and watching a movie together. It was an awesome night!

Tuesday: Harvest Party!
Last time I went to the states I found a few fun discoveries - Pumpkin Flavored baking kits in all sorts of types, including some pumpkin shaped marshmallows! I decided then and there that our lifegroup would be having a Harvest Party! Since I was away all weekend and am in need of easy food I shopped Costco USA/Canada for easy party ideas.
Menu:
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (mix)
Pumpkin Brownies (mix)
Apple Cider (premade)
Coffee & Hot Chocolate with pumpkin marshmallows
Chicken Wings (not sure on flavor yet - Honey Garlic?)
Cocktail Wienies
Hummus and Pita
Easy Rotel Queso with chips
Mini Pizza's (from Costco)
Pork Bites (Costco)
Shrimp Nests (Costco)
Mozza Sticks (Costco)

And BAM - you have a party!
At this party we'll also be doing Pumpkin Carving and having a fire out back with s'mores! I am actually so excited for this! It's going to be awesome. 

Wednesday: Taco's - Hard shells with ground beef & the fixings - just like childhood.
Wednesday will be our first night in a while to be at home together and rest - I picked an easy festive dinner / made even more easy by the fact that when I got home from grocery shopping Monday I threw a huge amount of beef into the crockpot with taco seasoning since we had two meals this week that needed it and a third in a week. It's waiting in the fridge to be reheated and my work load just got lighter. Then Paul and I will catch up on some SNL and if all goes according to plan, will be in bed by 9pm - please Lord let everything go according to plan - so very tired. 

Thursday (Halloween): Crockpot Meatball Stroganoff
Halloween is this Thursday - and normally I go hang out with Lims and the Maxwell's and join them in trick or treating with their kids - but the Maxwell's are going out earlier than I can make from work, and this is our first year in a real home so I assume we will get some kids. I'm going to bring our portable fire pit to the front yard - have warmth and some drinks and hand out candy to kids - hopefully a friend or two will join me. Therefore an easy easy dinner is extra important - something that I can eat as soon as I walk in the door from work since kids are usually out trick or treating by the time I arrive home. 

Friday: Appie Night 
Friday is my day off - I have plans with two friends (What up Shannon! and Kayla!) and will stop at Costco - they were out of Diva crisps this week and I need some for dinner. We have the Froese's coming over and as couples one of our favorite traditions has been appie night and board games. Therefore we continue in that style! This time Laura picked the appies - she's been to enough parties at my house to have requests to put in. 
Menu:
Nacho's (loaded with the works and served with homeade salsa, guacamole and sour cream.)
StuffedMushrooms (Laura has these are our housewarming and requested them!)
Boursin & Crackers (A classic)
Wings (Honey Garlic and Thai Curry)

Saturday: YOYO (You're On Your Own) 
Saturday we get to have a lazy day at home after a month of busy weekends and 3 week of travelling. To say we are excited to sleep in and do nothing productive is an understastement. After a day of rest and relaxation we will head over for a visit and possible dinner with a couple down the road from us and their family. We know the Montroy's from Camp but also are lucky enough to live near them. We're very excited to get to hang out with them finally!

Sunday: Taco Salad
Sunday will be another day of resting and possible a bit of work around the house - then it's time to set up coffee in the new church building for the first time - we will do that, finally get to be at church after a month of travelling and missing church and then will come home where we will eat taco salad, mmmm. Knowing the meat is already cooked will put a HUGE smile on my face. Thanks Monday's Tara, you rock!

Dorothy from church snapped this photo of me serving dinner at a church function.
Seemed appropriate for a food post!

Reviews from last week:
Since I haven't posted a Menu Plan Monday in a while I can't really review from last week - with busy times our schedule has been all over the place. But here are the new recipes I've tried lately.

Thai Coconut Curry: Next time I would go heavier on the spices - it wasn't super flavorful, but the flavors you could taste were good - I think the noodles and coconut milk just mellowed it out to much. But this will stay on the roster for sure. 

Crockpot Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta: This was a very simple and easy recipe that tasted great. I will definitely make this one again.   

Pumpkin Gnocchi: I needed waaaaay more flour than they suggested, but it was a fun meal and I would like to try it again. It was fun to do with kids, though messy. It made me want to try making standard gnocchi as well. 

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie: I already know I love this recipe, I used leftover turkey and roasted veg from thanksgiving instead and our LG LOVED it. Great use of leftovers and easy with the store made pie crusts. 

Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili: This is a nice meal to leave for my house - I whip up the rice while making lunches the night before and then put the chili into the crockpot overnight. In the morning I can put it in the fridge with the rice and BAM a meal. It also works to leave in the morning before work for my crew to find when I'm travelling - it's a great meal and tastes good too!

Crockpot Creamy Chicken Taco's: We have had this dinner a million times but every time it remains so easy, so tasty and a real crowd pleaser. And best of all I get to put it in the crockpot in the morning and walk away! That's a winner.

And that, as they say, is that. Next up: Thanksgiving 2013 by the numbers. 

1 comment:

Paraphrase said...

I am so excited for Friday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...